Cupping is a form of traditional chinese medicine that is believed to be around 3000 years old. This form of healing cup therapy is non-invasive in nature and works on the chinese principle that ailments are caused when the body’s internal energy “qi” or “chi” or the life force of the body is disrupted because of some ailment or injury. Cupping therapy takes its name from the cups that the practitioner uses to create vacuums over the affected points of the body.
Chinese believe there are five meridian lines on the back of the person and these meridians are the paths through which life energy moves through the body. As long as this energy flow is smooth, the person is healthy, but many disruptions can cause disorders. Cupping therapy works to restore this equilibrium and thus heal the patient and provide pain management.
There are two techniques of performing silicone cupping therapy
1. Fixed Cupping- Small silicone cups create a vacuum and provide an adequate amount of suction that causes blood vessels directly below the skin to dilate. The therapy cup is typically left in place for 5 to 10 minutes at a time, and the therapist may choose to use several cups at different points in several different meridians at a time.
2. Gliding cupping- Once the vacuum is created, the cups can also be moved across the oiled skin in a procedure called gliding or moving cupping. In this form of healing, sufficient oil is applied to the skin before creating suction and once the vacuum is created the cup is gently moved over the skin so as to provide a form of inverse massage therapy.
Let us check benefits of Cupping therapy-
As we discussed in a previous blog about cupping therapy, let us now see the significance and importance of cupping therapy.
Cupping therapy acts as the reverse of massage treatments, because placing the therapy cups against the skin creates suction on the skin. It uses vacuum pressure to pull the skin upwards. The reverse suction pressure that is experienced during the cupping method helps to soften the muscles and lift connective tissue and works by loosening muscles and stimulating blood flow to a particular region to increase blood circulation and drain excess fluids and toxins. In short, it encourages the body healing process.
Ailments in which cupping therapy is beneficial are :
1) Mental conditions such as migraines, anxiety, depression and mental fatigue.
2) Cosmetic benefits though cosmetic treatment that may involve the application of oil before vacuum in a beauty facial
3) In fat loss, it can help remove cellulite and promote weight loss.
4) Detoxify and pain management- It removes toxins from the body while relieving tense and tight muscles and joint pain.
5) It even assists in rheumatism, back and neck pain, fibromyalgia, arthritis and neuromuscular disorders. ( Medical prescription is required for such conditions).
The above are some of the major benefits of cupping therapy and an overview about it.